What a gorgeous warm week, right up until the weekend that is! Many post-work sunny evenings were spent in the garden, ‘testing’ out the new sun lounger! (I’m pleased to say it passes muster).
In fact it was rather an outdoorsy week – after gathering some elderflowers from a neighbour’s garden on Wednesday, Bees & I made some elderflower ‘champagne’ followed by a day at The Royal Highland Show. On Friday I was given the chance to do a Champagne sabrage in Drumsheugh Gardens as part of a lunch hosted by Piper Heidsieck at The Bonham Hotel.
This weekend saw some serious weeding – that darned Rosebay Willowherb is ubiquitous here! It was especially bad around the Apple & Pear trees but all gone now!
After such a dry, warm week weather-wise, I spent a good bit of time wandering round with a watering can (we really need to get a hose pipe). I potted a couple of Bamboo plants, gave the bird table a jolly good clean and we got a lot of the old leaves and general garden detritus hoovered up and out the way.
- The ‘brewing’ slugs are almost ready to go into warfare
- The mizuna & spinach started sprouting within just a couple of days of planting
- The honeysuckle is starting to flower, our garden is going to smell delicious
- The grass seed is really sprouting well – we’ll have a little lawn in no time (then we’ll need to get a strimmer).
- The midges were especially bad this week (the downside to such calm days).